Re: [Harp-L] Overblowing all done?

 I really think that, had these different tunings for harmonica been commercially available to little walter at the time when he was playing he would probably have at least tried them. his move from diatonic to 16 hole chromatic  played in Dm and Ebm was revolutionary in the blues, he also used koch harmonica which was unique and he used the double reed marine band (like the full concert), he was always experimenting, looking for a new sound.

-----Original Message-----
From: MundHarp@xxxxxxx
To: turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Wed, Feb 10, 2010 12:23 am
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Overblowing all done?

In a message dated 10/02/2010 04:37:28 Malay Peninsula Standard Time,
turtlehill@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<  Little Walter didn't use alternate tunings, but at SPAH 2009 most of
the pros  were using alternate diatonic tunings, ranging from simple Richter
variations  like Natural Minor to fairly extreme layouts. That's not going
away either.

Very much so!

I have tried a few "special tunings" but have mostly discarded   them
myself for two main reasons.

1) I play Richter Diatonic, as well as regular Chromatic "solo" tuned... It
 has taken YEARS for me to learn where all the notes are on each, and to
not get  confused between just those TWO tunings, while performing.

Additional tunings are simply too confusing.

2) My regular working kit consists of at least 12 diatonics;  but usually a
double set of 24 in case one jams up during a song. Plus a  few low
tunings, (still regular Richter)... Also a set of at least 12  chromatics, plus
few spares... That probably is as many as 70  harmonicas.

No I didn't buy them all at once, they have simply been collected over many
 years of playing the harmonica.

NO WAY do I want to carry around another dozen or so "special tunings"  !

Simply being practical.

"A bad workman blames his tools!"

That's because a GOOD workman, or a good musician, gets the best  tools to
achieve whatever they are trying to do.

In no way am I NOT in favour of special tunings... Lots of musicians use
them and use them to great effect...

Just "Different strokes for different folks"...

Best wishes,

John "Whiteboy" Walden
Cebu City
Philippines