Re: [Harp-L] Announcing a New Tuning: The Git Pickin' Harp

On 2/9/10, Jp Pagán <jplpagan@xxxxxxx> wrote:
> Maybe I missed it, but I don't see the post you are replying to. What's the
> tuning?

Here is a repost:
Dear Harp-l,
I am proud to unveil a new tuning I came up with about a year ago.  I
am not a machinist and this tuning takes more than just retuning a
harp so I had to find someone to build it for me.  Pat Missin did a
great job.

Here are the Youtube links:

An explanation of the tuning:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SWSqD2sAF0

Here is me playing the harp:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TRT_vJZQyA

Here is an explanation for those who prefer to read:

My personal model was built in the key of G, the tuning was developed
in C and is as follows:

C G D C E G  C F C G    Blow notes
1  2  3  4  5 6  7 8 9 10     Hole numbers
C G D D F  A  B F C G     Draw Notes

Holes 1, 2, 3, 8, 9 and 10 are bass notes.  Holes 4 thru seven are the
same notes as a standard C harmonica.

The purpose of this harmonica is to emulate a Country picking
guitarist.  They are capable of playing simple bass lines on the low
strings while simultaneously playing a melody in the higher strings.

Many songs in the key of C major can be played with the chords C, F
and G.  Bass lines arpeggiate these chords by playing the 1st note of
the major scale that has the same name as the chord followed by the
5th note of the major scale.  For example, the C chord relates to the
C major scale.  The C major scale is C D E F G A B C.  C and G and the
first and fifth notes of this scale, respectively.  The bass player
would suggest the C chord by playing C on the first beat of the bar
and G on the 3rd beat of the bar.  In a two beat song, the G would be
played on the second beat.

C and G are the bass notes for the C chord, F and C are the bass notes
of the F chord and  G and D are the bass notes of the G chord.  Each
bass note can be played either on a blow note or a draw note in the
same hole.  Why?

The reason is that it is possible to place one’s tongue on from one up
to  8 holes, blocking the notes from sounding when air is exhaled or
inhaled while playing the harmonica.  The player then opens his mouth
two holes wider and plays the two holes outside of the tongue.  For
example, a player could block out holes 2 and 3 and play holes 1 and
4.

This means any bass note and any melody note can be played at the same
time, because each bass note can be played on either a blow or a draw
note.

What is the purpose of having the C and G notes repeat in holes 1 and
9 and 2 and 10, respectively?  Although it is humanly possible to
block holes 2 through  8 and play holes 1 and 10, it is very
difficult.  A comfortable hole spread is 5 holes.  By having these
repeats, any melody note can be combined with any bass note with a
five hole spread or less.

As I say in the video, feel free to make one of these harps yourself,
but if anyone asks you how you got started on it, tell them I sent
you.

Michael Rubin
MIchaelrubinharmonica.com