From: captron100@xxxxxxx
Date: February 1, 2010 3:17:45 PM PST
To: Harp-L@xxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Harp-L] Butterfield's mic

Massimo Pettenello wrote:

545S, PE54 or both? Which one was the real Butter's Pistol??

It was said that Butter used both, but wired to high impedance. The 545S (S stands for "switch" used to turn the volume on and off. The 545S that Butter used has a pistol grip and is relatively heavy to hold. The PE 54 is no doubt more comfortable, tho I never held one myself.
On G's site (New Zealand harp expert who used to be a frequent contributor to Harp-L), http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/ , under the amplified harmonica link is a page devoted to these two mics. I suggest u go there and read all about it, and bookmark his home page -- the webite is filled with interesting and useful info:http://www.angelfire.com/music/harmonica/shure545.html .
An excerpt says:
The Shure 545 UNIDYNE® III and PE54 UNIDYNE® III serieswere all fitted with the same R45 Dynamic Cartridge, as was the Shure544 UNIDYNE® III. The internal 51E23 transformer has low impedance andhigh impedance windings, and is what makes the mic so powerful andversatile. If these transformers were provided with SM57 and SM58, theywould be equally treasured by harp players.The only real difference between the 545 and PE54 mics was the 545 wassold setup for low impedance, and the PE54 was sold setup for highimpedance. With the exception of the first PE54, and 545L, all thesemics can be switched to high or low impedance. The 545L is the onlymodel that cannot be wired to high impedance.
Ron