Re: [Harp-L] Caring for a new Chromatic?

Players vary in their beliefs about whether breaking in is a reality for
harmonica. But it can't hurt to play it gently at first until you discover how
the notes respond. This is especially true in the top four holes, where you may
find the notes difficult to sound at first.

Chromatics are more sensitive to foreign matter, gummy substances, etc., than
diatonics, because each reed has a think plastic strip called a valve mounted
over the reedslot on the opposite side of the reedplate from the reed. You can
cause these to buzz, rattle, stick, pop, and bray if you breathe sticky, oily or
other particles into the harp, so always play with a clean mouth free of
residues and debris. The slide can also get gummed up for the same reason.

The buzzing could be a valve. Warm up the harmonica befre playing as already
suggested, and this may help. Also, the valve may settle down once you've played
the harp for awhile.

Once you're done playing, hold the harp in one hand with the holes facing down
and tap the holes on the palm of the other hand. Then Hold the slide button in
and do the same for the second set of reeds. Prop the slider holes halfway open
with a totthpich and let the insides air dry for awhile before putting the
harmonica back in the box.

Good luck, and welcome to playing the chromatic.
 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Chromatic harmonica columnist, harmonicasessions.com