Re: [Harp-L] Holmes Harp Commander

Well....this is really subjective so I probably won't comment on the quality
of the tone except to say that it suits my playing. My band plays all types
of blues. What I like about it is that I can add grind without adding much
gain at all. Therefore, I can change the level on every song to match the
style of the particular song without changing the volume very much. I'm not
a technician by any stretch but I believe this gives the HC it's feedback
resistance. So far I've had no problem with feedback even when I'm very
close to the stage monitors even though I use very HOT Shure CR elements. At
home I've tried it with vocal mics such as an EV635 and I've found that I
can get a really nice tone although I've not tried this at a gig. I've found
the HC to be very "touch sensitive" as Ron Holmes describes it...very much
like a tube amp. I just tried it as mic interface to record to my computer
and it seemed to work well for that, too, although I need to become a better
"engineer".

I've had 2 previous models of the HC which I used primarily for back up and
situations where I was sitting in with other bands or traveling by air. I
always got compliments for my tone when I used them but they didn't have the
"touch sensitivity" that allowed me to shape my tone as this unit does. As I
said previously this preamp is forcing me to reevaluate my stance on tube
amps in general as I own some great harp amps and just the idea of using
something besides a tube amp seems like heresy so it really is somewhat of a
grand experiment! It really feels pretty good to try something outside of my
usual box!

All the best to everyone,
Jay

--