Re: [Harp-L] Harmonica Resolutions?

Sounds like you got it licked...
To add to the previous statement by Ross...I try to get the other players to sing behind me..( work bits of the harmonies up back stage with your buddies).  Singing with backup singers is much more forgiving...and less jaw dropping...of chorus it is.

I often close my eyes, or look down while I sing.  A good friend ( and gospel singer) suggested I pick a point on the far back wall of the room while I am singing and imagine projecting my voice at that point ( towards the upper part of the wall) .  He said to just try it part of the time ( replacing some of my hunched over closed eye singing) It encouraged more connecting with the back of the room,  use of the diaphragm for control and ultimately I was able to loosen my jaw and open my mouth more.

One day, while taking my turn singing at a gig in a large barn ( the glamorous life), I got the nerve to try out his suggestion.  At the top of the far corner of the barn was a hole for the pigeons.  The light spilled into huge dark dairy Barn and I just relaxed and tried  to gently push my voice right on up to the light.   In order to get instrument into proper position, I pictured my face in the position he called the  village idiot ( my friend suggested this would allow the jaw to drop, sort of unhinge allow for a better flow of air and a more uniform chamber for a more consistent control of tone and pitch).

Slowly, I moved my eyes back down to a fellow in the back row.  I imagined trying to really tell that person "the story".  ("Cold cold feeling" Albert Collins).
Maybe it was the ray of light hitting off my face in that dark old barn.  Maybe I did push that note to the upper rafter of this Cows' cathedral.
Maybe the bat guano went to my head.
Whatever it was, I finally got through to the audience that day.   I think about that moment every time I try to sing in front of a crowd now.
That day...everybody came up and commented on me being the singer ( instead of the harp player).
Truth is, I still get nervous about singing and prefer to just play the harp and sing harmonies.
But shortly after that gig, our lead singer moved away and somebody had to do it...and it might  as well be me...or you....

Dance like nobody is watching.

Happy new year!

Grant Walters....