[Harp-L] How to get a standing ovation

Every week I practise songs with a group of chromatic players, 4-6 of them, with most being readers.  I snuck in because none of them play the chord and I do.  They also allow me several solos, no backing,  playing various diatonic harmonicas at their gigs.  Yesterday we played at a WWII Dutch veterans' organization event.  I needed a song to play so I shamelessly stole that trumpet version of "Il Silencio" from the Andre Rieu video.   As soon as I started playing, all 90 stood up to attention and stayed that way till I finished.  The song was definitely worth learning.  So if you get to do a military gig, remember to do a military-like song.  After that I was able to sneak in my version of Charlie Musselwhite's "Azul Para Amparo" and it went over well.  I told the audience (average age must have been in the 80's) it was a Spanish song.

Manfred from Toronto the Good.