Re: [Harp-L] Bass Harmonica option

"Jerl Welch" wrote:
<Sam, just some thoughts as I read your post. First how many songs are you talking about  and what <different keys are the pieces. How much bass work are we talking about, some leads, fills, or bass <lines throughout.
<Unless you have had some time behind a bass, you'll find it a bit challenging to get what you would <like out of it. Tone, proper lines, etc. Just a thought, but using a digitech RP with some cool <double octaves bass setting might be something to consider, especially if you're already a diatonic <or chromatic player..But , just picking up a bass and preparing for studio work  would be <tough....good luck

Some members of this list may recall that I posted some clips of harp recorded through an RP with low octaves a while ago.  As per Jerl's comments, one of those settings was pretty convincing--a double octave down with no amp modeling or other FX, and the mix of original to low double octave set to 0:99 (i.e. no original tone, nothing but low double octave in the mix).  I would have no problem substituting that sound for a real bass harmonica on a recording.

However, before I brought that to a recording session for Anthony Braxton, I'd want to know if he was okay with it.  I don't recall that he's ever used electronics on his recordings.  Maybe he doesn't like them.

You'd also need to make sure that only the effected harmonica signal was making it onto the recording--and that it's the only thing the other players hear when the harp is playing.   Otherwise, there'll be harmonica, not just "bass" harmonica, in the mix, either in terms of what the musicians are hearing, or what goes on the record, or both.

It's relatively easy to deal with problems like this when you're overdubbing, or on stage with a loud rock band, but my guess is that Braxton doesn't do overdubbing, and he sure ain't playing loud rock.

I also agree with jerl to the effect that playing bass harp is no easy thing. For a start, all of the breathing goes out, and it takes plenty of air to move one of those bass harp reeds.  The first time I played bass harp on a recording session, I was running out of breath on every other note.  So if the parts move around more than a little, practice is required.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick