Re: [Harp-L] Bass Harmonica and info wanted

Wow - bass harp with Braxton, one of my youthful musical heroes!

Nobody has built a slide bass harmonica that I know of. Many people have voiced
the idea but the challlenges to making it playable are daunting. The main
problems are leakage, and the sluggish resonse when you change breath direcction
on such large reeds.

Hohner has set the gold standard for the double-reed bass harmonica. Suzuki
makes an excellent one (or so Im told by pro players; I haven't tried it).

So-called bass harmonicas come in two basic types:

- double-reed models in two joined bodies, tuned in octaves, that start on the
low E of a string bass

- single reed models in a single body that start on the low E of a cello (Swan
Senior Bass, Tombo Contrabass)

The single reed models allow for more flexibility in melodic motion with their
single bodies, but still present some challenges due to the mouthpiece interface
disturbing the player's embouchure. The Tombo is not sold in the US< but you can
find the Swan model for around $200.

You can find Shanghai-made double reed basses that are much cheaper than the
Hohner or Suzuki models, but which don't have the same level of quality and need
work to bring them into decent playing condition.

You can also find used HHohner basses on eBay. Of course it's impossible to
ascertain condition without actually laying hands on the instruments..

Winslow

 Winslow Yerxa
Harmonica instructor, The Jazzschool for Music Study and Performance
Resident expert, bluesharmonica.com
Columnist, harmonicasessions.com