RE: [Harp-L] Currency conversion and European VAT (was: Hohner response to Pat Powers post)

Dear all,

I always use this currency converter when I do my purchases - very handy

http://www.oanda.com/currency/converter/

An note on European VAT: When you ship from a European source to a
non-European destination VAT should always be deducted or better: Not even
be charged. This is a price reduction of 19% for purchases from Germany and
still 17.5% from the UK. Sophisticated internet stores normally explicitly
show this in their invoice.

Unfortunately some smaller on-line music stores do not. And here the trouble
begins: I never had a negative experience purchasing from Germany. However,
when I purchased some chromatic harmonicas in the UK from two different
stores last year, their internet shops didn't show anything in the invoice,
when I typed in my non-European shipping destination. I contacted both of
them and Peter Blyth of "Harmonicas Direct" immediately reassured me that no
VAT would be charged. The other - "Eagle Music Shop" - did not, as a matter
of fact and charged VAT.

Since I have similar experiences with other business branches in the UK in
this matter I would be interested if anyone else on Harp-L could confirm
this.

Best regards from sunny Berne, Switzerland

Tom