Re: [Harp-L] comb test

I never said that the null hypothesis can or will be proved--nothing I've written should be interpreted that way, if it was then I should have been clearer.

If test after test (imperfect as they may be) fails to show that people can hear a difference due to comb materials, that is not insignificant, as you seem to be saying. It means that people can't be shown to hear a difference. The practical usage of this is that we cannot say comb material is a contributing factor to tone--there is no evidence to support that statement. If my wording has been unclear on that, I apologize.

Since you like analogies, I'd suggest that the one I am thinking of is Bertrand Russell's cosmic teapot. We can never prove it exists, but there is no evidence to suggest such a thing.

JR Ross