[Harp-L] Re: Hohner response to Pat Powers post

Hi Pat,

Comb designs which have an exposed front edge of the reed plate usually have
larger mouthpiece holes than comb designs like the Special 20, which have
recessed reed plates.  Special 20 mouthpiece openings have an area of about
18.8 sq mm, MS harp openings are about 23.0 sq mm, and Marine Band 1896
openings are about 24.6 sq mm.  So MS mouthpiece holes have over 22% greater
surface area than Special 20 holes, while Marine Band holes are over 30%
greater than Special 20 holes.

Using the same breath pressure, airflow entering the smaller openings in the
Special 20 should be accelerated more than the air entering an MS harp or a
Marine Band, which may help account for the Special 20's good reed response.
 But the smaller holes in the Special 20 also result in a lower volume of
airflow (cu. mm / sec), which reduces the potential volume, or loudness of
the instrument.

I enjoy playing all of these instruments; I especially like the Marine Band
for loud, hard-driving tunes and the Special 20 for softer music.  I
wouldn't want to give up either design.

Rick