Re: [Harp-L] A surprising Hohner Silver Star

On Aug 26, 2010, at 5:34 PM, martin oldsberg wrote:

The Silver Star is not one of Hohner´s top of the line products, and that is reflected in it´s price, but I´ve been surprised by one thing:
Normally if I buy a C or A harp they´re pretty much goners after a few days, but there is one Silver Star in E that just keeps hanging on -- and we´re talking years of hard labour here.
What could be the reason for this?

Eb and higher =....shorter stronger (comparitively) reeds

One would assume that the difference, in metallurgical terms, ain ´t that great between a C and an E -- or?

If you take a lucite plastic ruler, hang it over the edge of a table and twang it while exposing more and more over the edge, after exposing more and more ruler, it can break. Turtle, tortoise, terrapin? same thing.

I´ve abused this one to an unlikely extent and it still shows no sign of giving up; hasn´t even needed a tuning. The key of A Silver Star that I bought the other week is now, by way of comparison, irredeemably lost, and sounded crap form the outset.
Is it so that the Silver Stars started out as great harps and then declined, and it was just my luck that I got this one from the right early batch?

The A has weighted tips on the low end. Add fishing sinker to the ruler tip. = quicker failure.

In terms of price/quality/ longevity this E Silver Star is probably my best harmonica investment of all time. Did I mention that it plays great as well?
Anyone with a similar experience?

Cheers,
Martin