Re: [Harp-L] Unsung stars at Spah

Ben Nathanson contributed a nice start on his SPAH Unsung Heroes list. But he humbly omitted himself.

In addition to being a quiet, unassuming true gentleman of a fellow, he's a monster blues harp player whom I'm careful not to sit near at the SPAH Blues Jams. That's because he ~always~ lays down these amazingly innovative bluesy lines that fit the song and its groove so well. I hate to follow him and it's just as bad handing off to him; either way he always manages to make me sound like I just picked up a harp.

[As an aside, One night this year the open seat in the circle, not surprisingly, was next to Ben (I don't think I'm the only one who is wary of sitting next to him). So I sat down with a smile and no small amount of trepidation.... Then who should sit next to me on my other side but none other than David Barrett hisse'f. I was that way for the rest of the night. I had what I suppose you would call a "growth experience." I couldn't help but recall that one night at my only other SPAH (2006, Denver) I happened to sit down next to Jellyroll Johnson and then Robert Bonfiglio sat down next to me on the other side. It's that way at the SPAH Blues Jams. A nobody like me can brush elbows all night with harmonica royalty. It's equal parts scary, instructive, humbling and inspiring. Like they say, "Priceless."]

Many L-er's may not know that Ben is also a key pillar of support for this list, second only to fjm for the unwavering technical support that keeps Harp-L running.

So I'm adding Ben to his own SPAH Unsung Heroes list.

Thanks, Ben, for all you do.

Michelle

PS: Obviously I'm kidding about sitting next to Ben at the Blues Jam. Though I usually get a dose of humility vis. his playing, he has a lot of keen insights during the jam and between songs I learn a lot because he seems to know everyone there. He's also a lovely person. Cool guy, Ben Nathanson.