[Harp-L] Re: SPAH

Did you hear him do Whammer Jammer at the electric jam!?!?!?!
<<snip>>

<<Sitting in the blues jam circle, waiting for things to get started.
There's this 10-year-old kid named Carlo sitting to my right and he's
noodling. I'm half-listening while talking to Mike Fugazzi. A sound catches
my ear:
"Did you just play an overblow?" I said to Carlo.
"Yeah," he said. "Why? Don't you like overblows?"
I explained that I liked them fine, but I wasn't used to hearing them from
10-year-olds.
"I'm almost 11," he explained.>>

Wow Steve, that's a great little story. I heard Carlo playing here and there
at SPAH and I was totally tickled by this kid's blues chops and his complete
unabashed attitude towards playing in front of everyone. I agree with the
opinion that the younglings (to use Chris's term) are reason to feel
optimistic that the future of the instrument is in good hands. I also agree
that over-praising them may do more harm than good. But at the risk of
contradicting myself, one thing I undeniably heard in Carlo's playing that I
don't think can be learned or taught -- that little dude has soul!

Anyway, I had a blast at SPAH even though I was only there for part of the
time. As always, it was great to see and hear everyone and I came away
totally inspired. There is so much innovation going on in our world
that it's hard to imagine how the state of the harp could get any better,
and yet it continues to do just that. Between the great young players and
the innovative products and ideas being made available by the likes of
Brendan Power, Greg Heumann, P.T. Gazell, Brad Harrison, all the custom amp
builders, and everyone else who's pushing the envelope, I think we are truly
entering the diamond age of the harmonica. And thanks to Joe Filisko and his
guild, the craft of customizing harmonicas and the market for it, have
just exploded. There are a number fine harp builders out there now and I
have to add Chris Michalek to short list of customizers who's harps I
am thrilled to own - his Marine Band customs are amazing.

Bottom line: Our instrument has a beautiful future and it's a very exciting
time to be a harmonicist.

tom albanese