Re: [Harp-L] vibrato vs, tremolo

I repeat that "tremolo" and "vibrato" are not synonyms, and should not be used as such.  The former refers to a pulsation in volume (or amplitude), the latter to rapid variation in pitch.

A google search on "define: tremolo" turns up a lot of supporting info on this topic.  This one seems particularly relevant to the current conversation:
Amplitude modulation of a tone at a variable frequency; meaning that the volume of the tone is increased and decreased at a specific rate. Not the same as (vibrato).
www.concertinamusic.com/sbox/glossary.html

In response to the idea that it's okay for harmonica players to use language that other musicians don't use, so long as the harp players know what they're talking about: I disagree completely. It won't help anyone, harp players least of all, to take words that other musicians understand to mean something in particular, and give those words a different meaning where harmonica is concerned.  It's just another opportunity for the rest of the musical world to shake their heads, smile sadly and wisely, and tell each other that those ignorant harp players don't know a damn thing about music.  Do we really need that?

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick