Re: [Harp-L] ultrasuede valve material

What is the wax for, and how is it used?
RD

On Aug 17, 2010, at 8:13 PM, enzyme rich wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am interested in trying ultrasuede as a valve material for my Lee
> Oskar
> circular tuned valved diatonic harmonicas.
> For blues in second position I use the circular tuning but flatten
> the 5
> draw a semi tone to get the flatted 7th.
>
> Does anybody know where to get ultrasuede in the states?

Upholstery/Drapery shops. Minnesota fabrics no longer carries it
except in the very big stores.

> Any retail stores or mail order places?

Check your local yellow pages for the above.

> Which thickness is best for diatonics?

About as thick as a credit card.

> Which glue?

Several. It needs to stick to the brasss. The material is absorbent
and can take a number of glues. (I use thickened nail polish).

> Which wax for the reed plate?

Johnson's, Bruce, floor waxes. Simonize paste wax. Any high quality
carnuba wax. Boot wax is fine.

> Anyone know any better material to use than ultrasuede?

I have tried many things over the years. Ultra suede works best.
(Tip: starch/stiffen the stuff). I use boat bimini cover sealer.

> Thanks for any info!
>
> Rich
> San Isidro, Costa Rica

How close to Puerto Limon? I just spent a few days there.

Joe Scungili and the Calamari brothers.