Re: [Harp-L] Stymie on harmonica

On Aug 16, 2010, at 9:19 PM, Tom Ball wrote:

http://www.veoh.com/browse/videos/category/comedy/watch/ v16241485shZKBPdS

At 12:54 in, Stymie "plays" harmonica. Great stuff - wonder who really played it? (Minnevitch? Adler?)

enjoy,
TB

The tone and speed are most likely Minnevitch. It would be a little early for Adler. The Rascaqls were from my fathers era (born 1911), and while Adler was born shortly thereafter, he would have been a teenager (like my father) when these short subjects were produced. Minnevitch (on the other hand) would have been already been a (known) adult.

It was interesting the Stymie was stereotyped with having a father in prison.
I think the use of an oil lamp under a bed would be frowned on by today's movie makers.
There were no pillow cases on the pillows and the kids had to sleep against 'ticking'.
I guess $4,ooo.oo was a lot of money back then.

smokey Joe & the Cafe s