[Harp-L] RE: A Jon Gindick Story

I wouldn't be playing harmonica today if it hadn't been for picking up Jon
Gindick's "Country and Blues Harmonica for the Musically Hopeless" when I
was a kid. I learned that intro on the accompanying tape note for note at
age 12 probably. I could probably still play that dang thing note for note
23 years later... I played it that much when I was 12.

 I remember when I was about 13, I was playing in a junior high talent show,
which I thought was the biggest thing in the world. I was so excited! I
can't even remember playing in the thing, I can only remember writing Jon
Gindick about it. That's how much respect I had for the man.
So, I sent Jon this letter (the internet did not exist in those days), and
told him how much I loved the harmonica, that I was playing in the talent
show or whatever, and that he was responsible for this love affair I had
with the harmonica, etc..

I'll be danged if Jon didn't send me a letter reply in the mail. Wasn't a
form letter either. It was a REAL letter.  To ME. I thought that was the
awesomest thing ever. He said how awesome he thought all this was, that he
was proud and whatnot & all kinds of stuff that makes a 13 year old player
jump in his shoes.

I sent him another "you are awesome!" letter when I was about 15. He wrote
me again. He asked me to send him a tape of my playing. 22 years later, I
still haven't sent him that dang tape. I wish I still had those letters.

David

www.harrisonharmonicas.com