Re: [Harp-L] Vibrato Technique

I recently have been able to get a very fast spasm in my diaphragm
that causes a draw vibrato.  I can only get it sitting down.  I have
had many people tell me they have a diaphragm vibrato.  I ask to put
my hand on their diaphragm and it is not moving.  I have met ten
people or so who actually move the diaphragm, I wouldn't trade my
throat vibrato for their sound.  Ricci and Primich have/had a great
diaphragm vibrato but it it could not be separated from the throat
vibrato and they could not explain to me how to do it.  Gussow
separated his diaphragm and it sounded cool.  He said he only does it
on the lower draw notes, bent or not.  He praticed by inhaling in a
slow pulsing manner and intentionally pushing out (or up, really) his
diaphram with every pulse.  This is how I started practicing my new
out of control spasm diaphram vibrato.  I continue to look for anyone
who can actually play using the diaphram and have it sound good but
most importantly for a teacher of that vibrato.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com