[Harp-L] SPAH: Harmonica Cleaning/Disinfecting/Sterilization Station

Fellow SPAH go'ers,

For what its worth, we're planning on setting up a little harmonica
cleaning/disinfecting/sterizilation station at our booth.

We considered several approaches to disinfecting/sterilization, and it took
some effort to narrow down the list. For example, surgical instruments are
typically sterilized by steam (autoclave) or gas (ethylene oxide.)  Both
require large equipment and a long time to perform - but they definitely
kill all the bugs. Another technique used in production of medical devices
is gamma radiation. Likewisekills all the bugs -- but needs like 10 feet of
concrete to shield humans from DNA-altering radiation.

There are other cold-sterilization solutions, like formalehyde, used by
dentists on their instruments, and clorine solution, used in laboratories to
wipe down counters and sterile hoods.  But I'm reluctant to use either of
those because of risk of ingestion - especially if you dont wait long enough
for the harp to dry.  Hydrogen peroxide and peracetic acid are also good,
but I really dont want to lug a 55 gallon drum of solution with us.

In any event, we'll be providing an ultrasonic cleaner (which takes about
2-3 minutes/cycle), alcohol-based disinfectant (for a quick dip), ozone
sterilization (about 5-6 minutes), and UV lamp (most effective on the
external surfaces.)

If anyone has any other suggestions, let us know... we'll try our best to
oblige.

And the price is right.... no charge.

Turbodog