[Harp-L] A few thoughts on reeds, since we are muzing it seems.

 Since we already know that the frequency you get is a complex result
(tip width, length of reed, elasticity of the metal, density of the
metal) why not see if we can take it one set further and see if the
complex curved free reeds used in concertinas and accordions can be
applied to the smallest of the family the harmonica. Bear with me as
this is not just being a stick in the mud. The complex edge curve you
find in high quality concertinas and accordion instruments helps to
eliminate unwanted secondary harmonics that are not naturals of the
root frequency desired.

Now if this was applied to the harmonica we could get a much truer
and sweet note from the instrument as much of the noise would be
eliminated.

Now comes the question of how to test and find if this makes a
favorable sound or one that takes away from the qualities that area a
harmonica. I am just beginning to look deeply into the math that goes
with this and it can make you head spin. So anyone interested please
contact me as the outcome could be very interesting indeed.

Michael