Subject: [Harp-L] Pedal for Drive Effect/Jason Ricci's Pedal Videos

Precisely. Which is why I specified that it was 'depending on what you're
looking for' and included THIS particular video of Jason's in my last post -
 where he plays for the first couple of minutes straight into the  HarpGear
- with just the mic - NO pedals  (and with huge tone) -  to show that
pedals aren't necessary at all (his words).

_http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhjOEQZvWC4&feature=channel_
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhjOEQZvWC4&feature=channel)

At around 2:23 - he states (after playing sans pedals):  "OK, sounds  great
to me...I just prefer the effects because I like to get that same kind of
tone believe it or not at a  lower volume, and a little bit more
compressed, a little bit more overblow/bend friendly".

EGS: This is why (IMHO) Gear  i.e - amps and pedals and the like are  so
individual and SUCH a matter of personal choice.  One size  certainly does not
fit all and it gives all these players their sounds, tones,  approaches and
thinking about their music.

There are harmonica players who will only copy blues players of the past
lick for lick and don't write music at all, aren't the least innovative  but
don't aspire to be or ever play anything more than how their heroes  played
50, 60, 70 years ago (yeah, it's really been that long)  <G>.  Yet that
works for them. To each his own. But the gear  THEY want to get 'that' sound
won't be the gear someone who's writing new music  will be after.

Give a listen. One learns something new every day. I did.

As Jason says at the end of this video: "I like the pedals, you don't  have
to. You heard what it sounds like both ways. Life is full of colours; Life
is full of diversity, let's just appreciate them, thanks".

Elizabeth

Gino writes:

"

Food for thought. I heard Mark Hummel  play
last week and he gets as good an  amplified
sound as anyone ever. He was playing  through
an Avenger with a crystal mic and dig  this,
not one effect peddle. I have things to  learn.
           Gino
  "LICENSE TO SMOKE"
http://www.ginoharmonica.com