Re: [Harp-L] Pedal for Drive Effect

"Hellerman, Steven" wrote:
<I've gotten some good advice on what pedal I should get to add the drive effect to <my modified Princeton Reverb. Through this group, Peter Madcat Ruth recommended the <Boss BD-2 Blues Driver Pedal, and I've gotten a couple of seconds on that. However, <Bill Barrett (okay, I do get a kick out of name-dropping, lol) suggested the Greer <Ghetto Stomp, which is a bit more expensive. Anyone have anything to say about these <two pedals, or recommend anything that they think is better?

A friend of mine in Idaho, Jeff Newsom, uses an MXR Micro Amp ($75) between his mic and his Bassman RI amp.  I've heard the setup in action, and I was impressed.

You might want to consider one of the Lone Wolf pedals, such as the Harp Attack, which are designed to pump up the tough on a harp amp.  I think these retail in the neighborhood of $150.

Finally, you might want to consider one of the Digitech amp modelers.  There's a distortion FX section on these devices that includes models of various well-known distortion pedals.  I've used the Guyatone overdrive model on a couple of patches. In terms of value for money, these pedals give you a lot.  If you're going to use it for distortion only, you can simply turn off everything but the distortion FX on the pedal, which will certainly make it easier to figure out the setup.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick