Re: [Harp-L] Blues Junior vs. Champ

Michael-

A stock silverface Fender Champ is not really suitable for gigging with an
electric blues band.  There just is not enough volume, unless your band has
extrordinary volume discipline.  In my opinion the Champ has much better
tone than the Blues Jr, but you will likely need to mic the amp, or --
better yet -- take it to a qualified tech for a speaker-tap line out.
Still, the Champ's output is so low it fails as an onstage monitor if the
band is loud at all.  You may not be able to hear yourself unless you run
your signal through the stage monitors, which introduces a whole new set of
feedback issues.

The Champ amps are best for practice and recording.  They can be used on
stage (I've done it myself many times) but it is not ideal.

Having said all that, I would make the trade in a minute.  The Champ just
has better natural harp tone than the BJr.  And if you are seldom using your
backup amp, it might be worth dealing with the volume issues.  Every harp
player should own a good Class-A 5-watt amp.  The tones it makes are joyous.

--
-Rick Davis
The Blues Harp Amps Blog