[Harp-L] In praise of Blu-tack

I've read a few comments from Brendan Power and others about tuning a harp using Blu-Tack instead of scraping metal from the reeds.  I needed a Dorian-tuned harp for my solo gig tomorrow night, and I decided to give the technique a try.

What do you know?  It works.  Besides the fact that it works, the best thing about it is that it's non-destructive and reversible.  Instead of taking metal off the reed, you just put a little dab of Blu-Tack on.  Below two comments and a question:

1)  Comment: it is remarkable how little Blu-Tack is needed to drop a reed 1/2 step in pitch.  Think of a small amount.  Cut it in half.  Cut it in thirds.  Take one of the thirds and cut off most of it.  That's how much you need.  Or at least that's the way I did it on the first try.  I have realized that the $8 worth of Blu-Tack I purchased (apparently the smallest amount available at retail) is enough to tune 7,239 harps. (A rough calculation, but close enough for this purpose.)

2)  Comment: because so little Blu-Tack makes such a difference in pitch, it's a little tricky to get octaves perfectly in tune.  I settled for something close.  I think I will get myself an X-Acto knife to help me make those tiny little adjustments in future.

3)  Question: I lowered the pitch of the reeds by putting a little Blu-Tack on the free (vibrating) end of the reed.  If I put a little Blu-Tack on the fixed end of the reed, will that raise the pitch?  I can try it myself, of course, but wouldn't mind at all if someone just told me.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick