[Harp-L] re: Rhythm harp

Perhaps playing "rhythm harp" and "backing harp" are overlapping stratagems -- I´m honestly not sure -- but if the emphasis is put on the latter here (playing lines, single notes -- not chord chugging), and assuming we´re talking blues, there are a few tracks on Otis Rush´s Cobra sessions where Walter Horton plays in the background that are outstanding, in my book. Listen and learn.

(Yes I know, a slew of instances may pop up here, everyone´s got their favourites, but that does not have to be a bad thing, no?)

The interesting and commendable thing with BWH here is that he´s barely audible. His sound is very dark, he stays in the bottom register pretty much all the time, practically undistinguishable from a sax.
  What he does is just fattening up the sound, anchoring the bottom; no need to shine.
  Very nice stuff -- some of it can most surely be found on the Tube. You also get to hear some outstanding blues from the 50´s.

cheers,
Martin