Re: [Harp-L] Nashville number system explained

When I first understood how helpful the numbers system could be, I
basically devoted all of my practice time to get to the point where I
could read any key as fast as any other as long as they were written
in numbers.  There is no question that my ability to communicate with
other musicians has shot through the roof and has helped keep me in
many bands.

Although I was already teaching harmonica, I believe the idea that I
could help others understand the numbers concept was the real
incentive to becoming a full time teacher/performer.  It seemed the
key to mass producing great harp players.

My analysis after years of teaching:  Everybody learns differently.  I
still encourage everyone to understand as much about the numbers
system as possible.  After hundreds of students I have yet to meet one
who connects to it as much as I do.  Many people have a very tough
time grasping the concept.  But more importantly, learning the time
management skills necessary to finding these five minutes a day for
one year that Larry talks about is hard for most people.  When people
can learn to create a regular practice schedule, it is difficult to
convince many people that of all the many things one could choose to
practice that the numbers system is important enough to choose.

I instead think of my lesson time as an immersion into the country of
harmonica where we talk in the language of music.  For one hour a
week, my students have to communicate using many facets of this
language, tablature, numbers, note names and if you request it,
written music.  One hour a week adds up, and many students find
themselves talking and thinking in the numbers system without any
outside practice.  I have had many students tell the story of how they
were sitting in, at a gig, rehearsal or practice and people were
talking in numbers and they could follow and join in the conversation.

So I am more in agreement with Vern.  It is a hard system for many
people.  Certain people have more of a knack for it than others.
However, so many musicians use it to communicate that it is worth the
effort.
Michael Rubin
Michaelrubinharmonica.com