 PS: Liseberg!? Christ, I´m looking at the darn place from where I sit right now -- it´s just outside my window! If you see a dorky looking guy in a bow-tie in the audience, cheering wildly, chances are really great that it´ll be me. I´ll check your dates and look forward to it! Please let me know if I can help you w/ any info on Gothenburg, or provide you w/ a plate of pickled herring, or whatever else that´s related to this country, it would be a pleasure.
From: "Rob Paparozzi" <>
Hi Martin,

I'm not going to defend Kenny G, I don't care for his music and actually I'm
not a fan of Pat Metheny's music either but both are very different indeed.
I think the biggest dilemma we have is including the word 'JAZZ' when
describing Kenny G and 'Smooth Jazz' Music.

I'm not big on labeling genres as I feel it creates problems, but I'd call
that music 'INSTRUMENTAL POP' instead of anything with Jazz in the title.

No, I wasn't happy about him inserting himself with Louis Armstrong on a
Video but that is not the point I'm arguing here....

What I do object to is the 'bashing' approach Metheny has taken, his 'Jazz
Snobbery' is what i find the biggest turn off. Kenny G is a product of
commercial music in America. It was this same snobbery that kept the great
Bandleader and arr Stan Kenton in the press during his career calling
Country Music  "Ignorant and perverted". Another words, OUR Jazz is hip and
all others forms of music are for the 'musical hopeless'.

The Fact of the matter is Kenny G sells records and makes crowds happy, if
you don't like it get over it, don't listen to it but leave the guy alone we
don't need musical 'bullying'.  He found a way to get rich and more power to
him...I don't see Springsteen getting as much heat for cutting deals to sell
'volume' with wal-mart! It's done all the time....it's called the Music
BUISNESS. Unfortunately, the buisness part too many times overshadows
creativity and as you said 'Quality'.

Steering this argument back to Harmonica, I saw some of these same
tendencies of musical 'elitism' in amazing players like Larry Adler and even
Eddy Manson. They were very open about putting down other players and genres
on the Harmonica and to me it took away from there greatness, that is just
my opinion ofcourse and I have tremendous respect for their beautiful music
and unique contributions to our instrument.

IMO, the world is LARGE and there is a place for so many styles of music and
performers.....unfortunately in America, the 'Schmaltz' has always been a
bit out of control,-).....but it's what makes US, US...no pun intended.-)

PS....on another topic, I'll be in Sweden in June, let me know if it's close
and if you wanna make the show, love to have ya as a guest!
Liseberg, Göteborg, Sweden (Blood Sweat and Tears)

Best,