Re: [Harp-L] NHC: Pat on Kenny

martin oldsberg wrote:
<Have to disagree most profoundly with the estimable Rob P here: This Kenny guy gives <schmaltz a bad name.

30 years ago, a bass playing pro in NYC said to me "If somebody's making it, they've got something."  I don't listen to a lot of Kenny G, but somebody clearly does.

I think it's worth asking why Kenny G has a lot of people buying his records.  It's not enough to say "all the people who buy his records are dopes who like crappy music."  Even if that were true, why are they buying his music, and not someone else's?

I think it's about his tone, which is obviously meant to be very beautiful and certainly comes across that way, and the simplicity of his lines and melodies.

But whatever it's about, there's something to be learned from his music.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick