RE: [Harp-L] 3rd Position

"AC" wrote:
<An amazing 3rd position harmonica work is on 'Wild Wild Woman' recorded by
<Charlie Musselwhite. If you don't have the LP "Taking My Time" it's been
<released on the "Memphis Charlie" CD. There are some other 3rd position
<harmonica stuff on that CD as well, if I recall the slow instrumental
<"Taking My Time" is played in 3rd, but I could be wrong on that.

I just listened to Charlie's recent recording "In My Time" from start to finish, and 3rd position is all over that record.

"Takin' My Time", recorded in 1971, is one of my favorite records of all time.  The title song, as I recall, is a slow blues in 2nd position, not 3rd.  Haven't listened for a while, but that's what I recall.  The band on this record includes Robben Ford on guitar and Skip Rose on piano, easily one of Charlie's best bands.

One of Charlie's signature tunes, "Cristo Redentor", is a masterpiece in 3rd position.  I recommend the version on "Tennessee Woman" (recorded, as I recall, in 1968 or 1969) in particular.

In any case, Charlie uses 3rd position nearly as much as he uses 2nd, and has for much of his career.  It's not hard to find 3rd position on any of his records.

Regards, Richard Hunter

author, "Jazz Harp"
more mp3s at http://taxi.com/rhunter
Twitter: lightninrick