Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Breathy harp?

Winslow's answers are always so right-on!

Before writing a response, I usually wait to see if he (or  SmoJoe) are
around to give their expert opinions first -  since they're consistently the
most logical :)

...that's exactly what I thought too...that perhaps you'd over-tightened
the screws, a VERY common thing to do when one thinks of trying to keep a
harmonica air-tight...but ends up doing the exact opposite.

Again, I'd add only one small change to Winslow's take on the polish: I use
 MAAS polish (which several harp-l'ers have since verified (once they'd
finally  tried it!) is super for harmonicas).
The small 2oz tubes are  convenient to carry around in one's harp 'kit'.
I originally bought  it for my silver jewelry while at a Buckeye Harmonica
Convention years ago  then quickly progressed to using it on every part of my
harmonicas, both  chromatic and diatonics. It gives the reed plates the
most gorgeous  soft glow...without any harsh chemicals.

 MAAS is specifically made to not be as toxic as the other brass/metal
polishes on the market. Most hardware stores or even CVS/Walgreen's carry it,
and it's also available online. (However, in trying to find a link to post
for you now I can't find my own tube...

_http://www.amazon.com/MAAS-Metal-Polishing-Creme-tube/dp/B0006FUKAE_
(http://www.amazon.com/MAAS-Metal-Polishing-Creme-tube/dp/B0006FUKAE)

...only their new 'updated' polish with the lavender scent. Does it work as
 well? I've no idea. I'm still searching out the original formula in the
smaller  tube which is most convenient for my use.)

The TINIEST dab works...I put it on the end of an orange stick or an eye
makeup applicator (looks like a type of unfuzzy Q-tip)...work it around the
reeds on the reed plate (making sure not to get any into the reed slots (or
that  takes a bit of work to get it back out)...rub it in with the tip of a
covered  finger ..or a very small implement such as the end of the same
orange stick or  Q-tip applicator, then buff the same way.  Treat the cover
plates inside  and out, then wipe them down with either Rubbing Alcohol (which
I've begun with)  or Anywhere hard surface spray...to remove any last
vestiges of the polish.

It's been touted for use on saxophones and other musical instruments,
etc...is a phenomenal polish - won't scratch or harm plastics/glass, and the
best part is to not need the several re-applications: no noxious smell,  one
wipe-down is usually sufficient. One review I've just read had the  user
polishing out scratches on sunglasses and computer screens (something I've
never tried).

The extra bonus with MAAS is that it leaves the metal protected against any
 further moisture damage...so I usually don't do that final wipe down with
alcohol on the underside of the cover plates, and it's certainly more than
paid  off. My Super 64's, 280's, 260, Seydel and Hering chromatics and any
of my  other metal covered harmonicas (although I play mostly CX-12's
now)....have not  built up any moisture or re-rusted...even those originally
'pre-owned' (which  are all crud free and look/smell brand new).

 I will add that I've gone so far as to use it on the CX-12's bodies  too,
recently. Since it works on plastic, why not? My theory is that the  CX-12's
plastic covers do get brittle eventually..so I'm experimenting with
polishing a couple of them with MAAS to see if it'll help prevent future  stress
cracks.

I disagree with leaving someone else's 'crud' and germs as a seal.   Crud
is crud for a' that (to paraphrase Rabbie Burns) ;)  Once you've
disassembled a harmonica to clean it...the 'crud' has already been shifted from  its
original position. Remove it completely and begin with a clean slate.
Re-aligning as Winslow's explained and tightening 'just enough'...seem more  likely
to be your issues.

You can't imagine how many chromatic players inadvertently  over-tighten
their mouthpieces and create major air-leakiness...it's a very  common problem.

Much good luck,

Elizabeth

"Message: 8