Re: [Harp-L] Ninth?

Michael Rubin wrote:
I continue to believe that with enough practice and all of the growth
in our knowledge base will lead to all positions becoming viable.

I agree, but I have some thoughts to add. I feel it's important to address younger players who are no longer beginners, and maybe have even entered into the world of advanced diatonic - on the subject of positions and keys.

I think that alot of us who when first having broken through to an advanced or professional level of playing feel this tremendous momentum to keep exploring, and the next step very often seems to be either playing in all keys on a single harp and/or getting the chromatic scale on the mighty diatonic. Some people have taken this dream farther than I have, by alot. (It has not been in any way my dream in more than 30 years.)

I have heard alot of players who went into the diatonic-expansion business on this rush of creativity and energy, and though I would be the last guy to advise a young player to do anything but follow their interests, I honestly haven't heard very much real musicianship in that field. I'm deeply impressed by the best explorers, but that's because their ability to make real music is highly developed. Howard Levy, for one, has made great technical advancements, but he plays real music with those developments.

I recall seeing A Family Thing with Robert Duvall and James Earl Jones, and hearing this terrific diatonic playing on the soundtrack and thinking "Damn, that's someone who really knows how to make music on the little harp." And that was Howard Levy playing mainly very simply.

On the other side of the coin, I have heard some demonstrations by players who became intrigued with tuning harps, and got very good and creative at it --- long before they could play two convincing licks.

My first real interest in a new position was sparked by a post by Pat Missin here in the late 90's, when he talked about 12th. I had never even thought of it before, but I tried it out and I love it. I had been playing more than 30 years at that point. I've also learned to love the mind-expanding possibilities of first by learning some Irish Fiddle tunes. Fifth and now ninth are grabbing my attention, as they both give us really fine and useful colors.

Perhaps before I'm through I'll have finally explored all the keys. For me it's about cutting new paths in my brain, and being able to bring some fresh colors to jobs, and that excites me.

Like I say, I can only encourage young diatonic players who have broken through to follow their interests, but I feel that I must advise you to work your butts off on second position, developing your creativity and musicianship in that position even while you explore the other positions (if other positions interest you). Dive deeply into the subject of second position, and apply an ever-improving handling of dynamics, phrasing, time, color, swing, speed and slowness within its limitless limits.

It's not like you have to earn the right to explore the positions, but that exploration is of much greater value to players like Michael Rubin, who really plays music when he plays harp.