[Harp-L] Jon Gindick Harmonica Jam Camp Report

With thirty campers and seven coaches, no two people could possibly have the same Jam Camp experience. This was my sixth camp, and for me it was the best ever.

The flavor of the group can make a huge difference in the overall tone of a camp. This group seemed especially cohesive and inclusive. One might think that this is a luck-of-the-draw kind of thing, but this time Jon circulated a list of students’ names and email addresses before the camp, and encouraged campers to coordinate rides, etc. Some of the campers met in Memphis before camp began, and there was a drop-in party/jam/sing-along in one of the shacks the night before camp officially started that really broke the ice. There were many return campers – and joyous reunions. People do tend to form natural clumps, but there seemed to be an overall effort to include beginners and newcomers and not be clique-y. I’ve written to Jon to encourage him to do this again, next time.

TJ Klay, of Nashville, and Harp-L’s own Hash Brown joined the coaching staff last September, and returned this time, so the staff roster was exactly the same this time as last. The coaches all seem to work well together, compliment one another's strengths, and enjoy one another’s company. In addition to Hash and TJ were Cheryl Arena, Brian Purdy, RJ Harman, Adam Gussow, and, of course, Jon Gindick. Each has something different to offer; all are supportive and encouraging.

There were whole-group jam sessions (with house band Guitar Mikey and the Real Thing), small group lessons, and many opportunities for one-on-one instruction. People could also get guitar lessons. I asked for got an introduction to the electric bass. (“Elizabeth this is the bass guitar; Bass Guitar, this is Elizabeth.”) I have no intention of actually learning to  *play*  bass guitar, but I thoroughly enjoyed having a chance to satisfy my curiosity about it.

The overall philosophy of Jam Camp, according to an interview with Jon in the Clarksdale Press Register, is “to short-circuit the intellect so that people can draw upon a lifetime of listening and loving music.”  I might be one of the least intuitive people on the planet (go ahead, call me a theory-head), and some of the classes were a great struggle for me in that regard. It often is, but it’s a worthy struggle, I go in with my eyes open, and I always come away from Jam Camp glad to have gone. This one was no exception.

---
The full newspaper article can be found at:

http://www.pressregister.com/articles/2010/03/31/news/ doc4bb1fbfcd1b6d042870332.txt