To: <harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Wednesday, September 30, 2009 4:29 PM
Subject: [Harp-L] any advice on gapping for bend control?

I got me a new suzuki harp, only to find I can't control the bends on
the 3 draw like I can with my marine bands. I only seem to be able to
get the deepest bend. Less air redirection and I just get silence, or
at best very low volume, less air redirection still and I'm straight
into the unbent note. As I can get the bends easily with my other harp
of the same key, I'm wondering if it's how the harp is set up, rather
than (or as well as ) my technique. I don't have much experience in
reed adjustment though. Does anyone have any tips as to whether, and
how, I should adjust the gapping to get better control over these
bends? Reading online articles about gapping has just left me feeling
more confused, and I'm finding the problem really frustrating when
playing, so I would really appreciate any thoughts or input anyone
might have.