Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 23:32:01 -0400
From: Richard  Sleigh <rharp@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [Harp-L] Charlie Leighton
To:  harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx

I have heard many times that your tone of voice has  a lot more effect
than the words you are speaking, and the same goes  for music. Charlie
Leighton had a huge musical vocabulary, but it was  his tone that
always stunned me and touched my heart in ways that I  will never be
able express in words. I bought the tapes that Tom talks  about from
Richard Farrell years before I heard Charlie play live, and  although
they were amazing, nothing compared to what I heard when he  played at
SPAH live. No effects, just his technique. I was totally  star-struck
to the point where I found it hard to talk to him at  first, but he was
so easygoing that I got over it enough to talk tone  with him. His
advice was to work at matching the vibrato and tone  blowing and
drawing by playing the draw 4 C note (slide in) and the  blow C notes
on a 280, or the draw / blow F notes , same  idea....

I went home and spent 6 months working on those exercises daily  on
both the 280 and the diatonic harmonica and then wrote Charlie  a
letter to say thanks for the inspiration and ideas. He called me  on
the phone to thank me for the letter, and it was such a surprise to  me
that he would do that that  once again, it took me a couple of  minutes
to get my bearings and say something halfway  intelligent.

Charlie loved the wood 280 Chromatic, and in particular the  older ones
that came originally with leather wind-savers and the  rounded rivets.
I looked around till I found some of those harps, and  they really do
feel special to me. I don't really care at this point  if I hear
something special in those harps because I expect to, or if  there is
some other x factor at work. They remind me of Charlie, and  Charlie
reminds me that music has profound and mysterious powers that  can be
felt but not explained. They can also be attained by a kind  of
practice that is more of a surrender, an allowing, an opening of  the
heart, than an attempt to master an instrument.

I do hope  that someone collects some unreleased recordings of
Charlie's playing  , even fragments, and makes them available. I would
love to see more  of his music out there for people to appreciate.

I am sure that Charlie  is resting in peace, because that is the way he
lived, as far as I can  tell....

Richard Sleigh

shop address:
205 E. Pine  Street
Philipsburg PA 16866-1623

Join my list & get entertaining  emails and special offers- go to
http://customharmonicas.com/richard-sleigh/
and scroll down to the list opt in box & give me your name &  email &
your in!

814 342 9722  (w)
http://www.customharmonicas.com/
http://isthmusofchristmas.com/