De : harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx [mailto:harp-l-bounces@xxxxxxxxxx] De la part
de David Payne
Envoyé : lundi 28 septembre 2009 00:52
À : Harp L Harp L
Objet : Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Leighton 1922- 2009

Hanging out at Charlie's:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYV5vU1Ju1k

sorely missed.

Dave
________________________
www.elkriverharmonicas.com

----- Original Message ----
From: Robert Paparozzi <chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: wgalison@xxxxxxx; harp-l@xxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Sunday, September 27, 2009 4:36:17 PM
Subject: Re: [Harp-L] Charlie Leighton 1922- 2009

Deepest Condolences to a GREAT person and player like no other....we'll miss
You Charles.

Rob Paparozzi

On 9/27/09 1:32 PM, "wgalison@xxxxxxx" <wgalison@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Dear Friends,
>

> Our dear friend and teacher, and perhaps the greatest harmonica player
ever,
> Charles Leighton, has died at age 88. Charlie was an eminently elegant,
> generous, gracious and talented man. ?He taught us that as an instrument
of
> tonal beauty and range of expression,?the harmonica could stand proudly
> alongside any other melodic instrument.
>

> Moreover, Charlie was a musician of stunning virtuosity and sensitivity.
He
> would have been a celebrated master instrumentalist on any instrument, and
we
> can only be grateful that he chose the humble harmonica to express his
> exquisite musicianship.
>

> Charles was a great friend and mentor to me and the others who descended
on
> his apartment every Tuesday for nearly thirty years, Those "Tuesdays"
sessions
> witnessed astonishing performances by Charlie as well as countless laughs,
> deep discussions and simple affection among Charlie and his friends.?
>

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYV5vU1Ju1k
>

> Charlie was the "gold standard" of harmonica players, whose music will
> continue to inspire and instruct as long as people continue to play the
> harmonica, in terms of tone, technique and sheer musicality.
>

> This posting is not an obituary, just a brief announcement. A few of
Charlie's
> friends are working on an obituary for the New York Times to be published
> soon, We will post it here as well.?
>

> At Charlie's request, there will be no formal funeral. We are arranging a
> website to honor Charlie, and a celebration of his life and music, to be
held
> in the coming weeks, to which all will be invited. The location and date
will
> be announced on Harp L.
>

> In our shared loving memory of Charlie,
>

> Will
>

> Please pass this to other friends and fans of Charlie.

All the best,
Rob Paparozzi

email:
chromboy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rob¹s My Space (check for upcoming Gigs!)
http://www.myspace.com/hudsonriverrats

Rob¹s Session Sites:
http://www.esession.com
http://www.sessionplayers.com