Re: [Harp-L] Re:Practicing the Bends

The iceman sayeth:

> whew - sure seems like a lot of work as you describe it.
>
> try the target points. my new students are able to go from bend to bend in adjacent holes accurately and they find that it isn't difficult at all, as easy as
> saying "T" and then "K". There is practice involved, but it happens in a few weeks rather than months/years.
>
> However, some, when given the choice between a shorter and longer path, seem to choose the longer one. You still arrive at the same destination - it just
> takes longer.
=======================================

Larry,

Interesting how you somehow came to understand that the exercises I posted would take "months/years" to master... I never said that, or ever suggested it; and it simply isn't true. Your leap of logic amuses me.

If someone already has the skills to bend notes (as the poster has clearly stated), then the exercises I posted will bring them the desired result of moving from bent tone to bent tone fluidly in about week or less, depending on diligence and initial bending skills.

But it sounds to me like you're saying that if someone simply says "T" and "K" a few times they will be able to move fluidly and accurately from bent tone to bent tone without any difficultly in a few weeks. Hmmm. I think there's more to it than that.

Enunciating consonants is a great way to teach someone how to bend, however, I would be cautious in overselling the technique as a panacea, no matter how Zen it may sound.

Remember Grasshopper, what appears to be a long path to you, may be a short path to someone else (and vice versa)
Three blind men touch an elephant - one feels the ear, another the trunk, the third enounters the tail. Each describes the animal differently, yet it is still an elephant.
The shortest path is not always the easiest.

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.