Re: [Harp-L] Hering wood comb crack viel of mystery lifted

On Sep 14, 2009, at 3:31 PM, dmatthew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

A few years ago, Hering had a lot of trouble with cracked combs on their chromatics. I guess they worked fine in Brazil, but they didn't fare so well up North.

There was a run of combs where the soft wood between the 3 hardwood layers wasn't properly seasoned. As it dried it shrank. You can tell which ones they were. If they 'used' to smell horrible, that was them. (I have never had a problem with them, but mine are all old). :)

smokey-joe