[Harp-L] Re: TONE/tone

Jon.

I said (more than once) in my previous post that we may be talking about a semantic difference--and timbre more or less equates with what i referred to as presentation. BUT, there is a significant difference between harmonica and most other wind instruments (flute, sax, trumpet,etc.). Wind players maintain a single, firm, and, for the most part, unbroken, column of airflow and manipulate the keys of their instrument and adjust embouchure to get particular notes. Harmonica player alter the airflow itself while playing in order to do what it is necessary to do in order to play. This is a HUGE difference and has a big impact on tone production.

But, i agree with you that good players usually have a distinctive, recognizable sound of their own no matter what they material they happen to be playing.

Best regards,

JP