Re: [Harp-L] miles/Kind of blue

JP wrote:

>True enough for the overwhelming most part.  But, there is a tune on
>the ANGEL HEART movie soundtrack CD called "Right Key, But the Wrong
>Keyhole" sung by Lillian Boutte.  On this tune,  Sugar Blue plays
>amplified diatonic harmonica and sounds so much like a muted trumpet,
>you don't realize it's a harmonica at first.  But, even after you do,
>the phrasing is so jazz horn like that it's amazing  and conveys that
>precise feel and feeling one gets listening to a good jazz sax or
>trumpet player.  Incredible, very sophisticated performance.
>Unbelievable tone and phrasing. I've never heard anything else like
>it from a harmonica player.
>
>Btw, IMHO, the Miles Davis album "Kind of Blue" is (at least
>arguably) the best album ever recorded at any time in any genre.
>
>Best regards,
>
>JP

The coolest jazz diatonic (played like a muted trumet) that ~I've~ ever heard came from an obscure recording called "The Deb" by harpist Magic Dave Therault. It can be found somewhere in the annals of the old Harp-L compilation recordings. MAN, that was good!

Harpin' in Colorado,
--Ken M.

TeraBlu Band on My Space
http://www.myspace.com/terablu