[Harp-L] Re:Troubles with Hole 2 step bends and tone not lemons

Good on you Graham, Thanks for the note. However, the hole 2  draw bend is a very common 'trouble' for fresh players. It is not the harmonica it's your lack of knowledge on how to effect good stepping down and note shaping control.The music shops are probably full with buckets of diatonics that have been sent back under the premise that " I can't get into Hole 2 bends particulary in A". The great fact is you need to find a decent professional harmonica teacher and invest in a learning session ASAP ! Possibly Adam Gussow has a post on the You Tube or chase down this topic through your computer. I'm sure guys like Jerry Portnoy and Steve Baker cover this in their material? In fact, I may place a You Tube up myself before too long, on getting into sharps, flats and vibrato? I recently purchased a camera so who knows when thats gonna happen.
You could be trying much too much air through the chamber without accurate lip seal bleeding into hole 3? Sit your lips on the cover plate then 'pucker' or push out as if to kiss for single hole seal. Coaxing flattened notes comes from the throat or 'cook, cake, kook' area then sweetens near behind the top teeth as you let the pressure off with tee, dee, doo? Try those words and observe you learnt long ago form and to speak in TONES made naturally now without thought forming countless words and degrees of expression. The harp is a linguil instrument. Buying or taking back your harmonica will not improve this skill. The fact is if your using Special 20's you it is easily possible to step bend hole 2. I myself am ever evolving and learning new skills including kindly from members of the HarpL forum  how to tighten up my reed plates or invest in better instuments.

 Friday, September 04, 2009 10:06 PM
Subject: Re:Harmonica Lemons

Hello

I too have had this problem and i was just starting to think it was the way i was bending the 2 draw full step bend on the A harp in particular.

I am an intermedite level player and was very dissapointed in the special 20 when i reached the bend it squealed at me.

I informed the music shop and the owner said she will talk to the rep next week.

It was so refreshing to hear that a pro player is finding this problem also and for me its only with the special 20s it bloody squeals at me unreal.

I pay â32 for a harmonica that is not up to scratch.

I can fully appreciate your frustration which must be made worse since you play for a living.

I will make this guy aware of this next week armed with a copy of your post.

But i think if more pros like yourself voice your concerns maybe they will listen

Regards

Graham (Ireland)