Re: [Harp-L] talking techniques again

On Sep 4, 2009, at 11:20 AM, Emile Damico wrote:

On an out of the box Golden Melody in C to get the Bb in 3 draw dead on in tune
I have to sacrifice some tone. Playing it slightly flat adds greatly to the tone.

True, what people don't seem to realize is that YOUR OWN MOUTH is changing the tunings of harps ALL the time. So, in reality, it matters not which tuning scheme you are using, but what you are DOING with it, and that's why I never put much thought into the 3 most used general set-ups (compromise, just, 12 tet, etc). And THIS is why some players sound better than others to 'some' of us.

Sure, the harp accounts for a little, the amplification set-up does too, but it's the player who can adjust the SOUND to get the most out of it that matters. This is what separates the champs from the chumps. I never concentrated on the sound. That makes ME a chump. People that have the time and can FOCUS become the champs. Simple as that.

smo-joe

Diggs