Re: [Harp-L] newbie questions

"I've gotten a Danelectro Honeytone to play around with, and I'm planning to get a Bottle O Blues to use with it."

I think you're in good shape right at that point. I'd stay there for a while before adding effects and all that. Better investment is quality harps in various keys and learning materials.

Many purists here will say don't play amplified until you have the basics well under control. Others, like me will say yes, spend that time with just the harp and work on your tone unobstructed, but reward yourself by plugging in and honking along to your favorite tunes amplified. it will sound terrible at first but will only get better if you keep at it. make sure you have good instructional material (plenty of recommendations if you search this board) and work through them diligently (i.e. don't be tempted to skip the hard stuff just to move on and "get through it").

Winslow's Harmonica for Dummies is in many opinions (mine also) the best comprehensive starter book/cd but then there's the classic Jon Gindick Rock 'n Blues Harmonica which is extremely fun and informative starter material. Both will take you well into intermediate and some advanced concepts. David Barrett's stuff is fantastic and the Jerry Portnoy Masterclass CD set is also.

Oh yeah, welcome. I was where you are just a few years ago, it's worth it (and still frustrating) if you stick to it.

Bill Hines