[Harp-L] Re: blowing rags - Steve Baker's "King Kazoo"

A little late to this thread, but regarding blowing rags....

Steve Baker - a frequent and welcomed contributor to this list - might want
to weigh in on position approaches to playing rags.  I was lucky enough to
pick up a copy of his excellent CD "King Kazoo" this year at SPAH. Steve
totally "rags out" on that CD, IMO.

Richard Hunter has already given a comprehensive review of this CD here on
the -L (check the archives).  At the time, I neglected to add my
enthusiastic "Here, Here !!".  Anyway, it is a GREAT CD filled with
toe-tappin', smile-grabbin' tunes in the rag / jug band / country blues
genres (with some lyrical and ChiBlues pieces thrown in, to boot).

I'm not sure how many of them strictly follow the III-VI-II-V-I progression,
but there must be at least a couple?  Anyone who wants to hear some great
original and cover songs of a raggish nature with a harp/guitar duo would be
well-served to pick up this CD.

Normally I would be hesitant to tell the amazing James Conway what he should
listen to, but in this case I am confident that any harper could learn a lot
from Steve's playing on this CD.  Definitely on my "Top 10 Harp CD's of the
21st Century" list ... (so far - check back in 90 years to see if it holds
its place :)

Fred S