Re: [Harp-L] tuning

Michelle points you in some very good directions. This is a very subjective area. JI and ET are good for different things. My personal preference is towards JI and I haven't had people come up to me after a gig to let me know how badly intoned I was. Maybe they're just being polite? 19 limit JI is a good compromise between 12T ET and some of the more extreme versions of JI like 7 limit. Although 7 limit is really good for what it's good for like playing blues from a certain era.

Not that this answers your question but here's my suggestion. Buy a nice old Marine Band manufactured prior to the second world war. Play it for about a year and see what it is you figure out from that experience. There's an entire world of sound there and a lifetime of learning.

12T ET can sound wonderful given the right tuning. Harmonic minors are not nearly as jarring chorded in 12T ET as they are in a major key. 7 limit has a certain harshness in 3rd position, 19 limit sounds a lot better in 3rd to my ear. The classic complaint about the very flat 5 and 9 draw notes in a 7 limit JI isn't as black and white as it may seem at first listen. Sure if you play those notes open against other instruments you'll sound very very flat. The trick is in figuring out how to play them and not sound so very very flat. fjm