Re: [Harp-L] voicings (and extensions) continued

At the end of another good post on chord extensions, Larry says,

>If you can get the SOUND of these voicings in your inner ear, you will be >extending your understanding of music harmony. If you can visualize these >notes in your mind and attach them to where they live in HNA (hole number >arrow - a frequently used harmonica tab system), you can begin to make >interesting choices in your harmonica improvisations, or at least start to >understand what is going on from a theory standpoint.
>
>This is just the beginning, as there are A LOT of voicings out there >defining A LOT of chords. The deeper you get into it, the farther out you >can take it.

This is one reason I like Mark Levine's book "the Jazz Piano Book" (Sher music). I like it even better than his other book. "the Jazz Theory Book." In the piano book , he covers most of the same ground, but gives you examples from great jazz pianists that, with a little effort, you can sound out on the keyboard. When you do, over and over you'll find yourself exclaiming 'So THAT"S what that it!" - so many familiar jazz sounds are made concrete and laid out for your understanding. It's not that big a step to then apply that to a melodic instrument.

Winslow