[Harp-L] RE: Harmonca Case

I bought one of those black naugahyde cheapo cases from Musicians Friend a couple of years ago.  It was OK but I have since moved on.  I still use the two removable black furry harp trays from it though.  I now use a $85 DJK flight case that came with pick-n-pluck foam,  http://shop.vendio.com/djkits/item/956864871/index.html .  Ultimately I ditched the pick-n-pluck foam.  It is a bit flakey and after a few reconfigurations the case looked sloppy and unprofessional.  I replaced it with a piece of higher quality foam that I cut pockets into myself (which doesn't look as good as Hal Iwan's foam but it works).  This is a pretty big case at ~23" X 13" X 6".  In this case I have my two diatonic furry trays side by side holding a total of 22 harps.  I have a Dunlop 9V/18V DC power brick nested in that can run a bunch of pedals.  I have the Lone Wolf delay pedal hooked to a Dunlop MXR 108 EQ pedal both nested in the case.  I have two nests for bullet mics, a slot for my CX-12 chromatic, an embedded power strip, and a fairly large cavity for misc stuff like connectors, my Lee Oskar repair kit, a 545 stick mic, business cards, etc.  I leave the mic cable and amp cable hooked to the pedals and coil them up in the case.  For gigs, I place this setup on a folding keyboard stand.  I have cleanly ran all of the power and pedal cabling under the foam in cut-out slots so everything lays flat and smooth.  So the way this case is setup, I show up to the gig, set the case on the keyboard stand, flip it open, run the powerstrip cord to an outlet, plug in the amp cable, screw on a mic, plug the amp into the power strip if that is the most convenient outlet, and I'm ready to go.  There is no hooking up pedals to power bricks and 1/4" cables.  As the "front man" so to speak in our band, this setup provides an organized and professional solution that has all controls, harps, etc. at my fingertips without have to wander far from the vocal mic stand.

Glenn

The ColdRail Blues Band

www.ColdRail.com

PS - I only use the MXR EQ pedal if I am playing straight into the PA.  It is great as an ampless "mini-amp" for dialing out feedback, tone shaping, and dialing up the gain to add a bit of crunch if desired as a low cost alternative to something like the Harp Commander (thanks to Richard Hunter for his recommendation on this pedal)