Re: [Harp-L] voicings part deux

A mostly solid and informative post. However, a couple of corrections.

Over a C chord, D F# and A would be 9, #11, and 13, respectively. (you wrote that F# and A would be #9 and 13).

Also, extensions and voicings are separate concepts, which isn't entirely clear from what you wrote.

Extensions add notes to chords, while voicings refer to how far apart the notes are spaced.

==EXTENSIONS

Extensions are created when you extend a chord by adding notes above the basic 1-3-5 triad. Often this is done by adding notes in the same odd-number sequence:

1-3-5-7-9-11-13.

Once you get to 13, you've added all the notes of a 7-note scale.

You can use some or all of these notes, omit notes in the chain, and raise or lower individual notes.

Sometimes these extensions are referred to as upper structures, esepcially when the lower elements are omitted.

==VOICINGS

Voicings are not unique to chord extensions. Voicings refer to how far apart the notes are spaced, along with which notes of the chord are on the top, bottom, and in the middle.

Even a simple triad can be voiced different ways, which will produce different effects.

For instance, you could voice C-E-G as close as possible, with C on the bottom and two octaves below Middle C - very thick and "tubby," as my arranging teacher used to say.

Or you could voice that same triad with E on the bottom. C above that, and then G above that. This wider spacing will produce a more spacious, yet rich voicing, while placing the 3rd of the chord on the bottom will create an instability that will lead the listener to expect movement to a more stable chord with the root on the bottom.

Winslow

Winslow Yerxa