[Harp-L] Re: Flute Doubling

To Arnold Wiliem & Elizabeth:

I am a self-taught flutist, and played very heavily from about 1969 till 1985, became quite proficient at it BUT: In teaching myself I did develop some bad habits that probably contributed to a bout of TMJ (a jaw muscle problem) that forced me to give up both harp and flute for a long time.

I was spending hours a day practicing and incorrectly moving my jaw to try to facilitate high notes, and to help bend notes on the harp. My advice: Get at least a few lessons from a pro teacher on any instrument you take up. It can avert problems that might otherwise arise later. It's harder to unlearn old, bad habits than to learn the correct methods to begin with. Plus it is likely that with a teacher you'll learn more and progress faster. Just my .02 worth.

Cheers, Bob Loomis
Concord CA USA